The Fund is established to invest in independent content creation companies in the screen industries, which are committed to long term growth and development.
The Fund will primarily target creative content companies that have the following attributes:
- Proven track record – the company, or the principals in the company, will have proven experience in developing and producing commercially appealing projects. Such experience will be evidenced by a proven track record of the company (or the principals in the company) of originating commercially appealing content acquired or commissioned by top tier distributors or broadcasters over the past 2 years. In addition the principals must not be involved in any competing trades, and must commit the vast majority of their time to the trade of the company;
- An existing development slate – which includes (a) projects at an advanced stage (this means projects which have attracted meaningful interest from distributors or broadcasters, which can be evidenced); and/or (b) projects with meaningful talent attachments, which can be evidenced (i.e. – actor/writer/director talent attachments with the ability to greenlight a project with top tier distributors or broadcasters);
- Excellent talent connections – to be evidenced by the ability to attach meaningful actor/writer/director talent to previous content produced by the company (or the principals of the company). Meaningful talent in this context means actor/writer/director talent with an ability to greenlight a project with top tier distributors or broadcasters;
- Commitment to diversified multi-platform strategy – the company (or the principals of the company) must have a commitment to creating content for a range of distribution platforms, including theatrical film, television and subscription video-on-demand services, and must employ (or have identified) personnel with a proven track record in originating content for the relevant distribution platforms; and
- EIS qualifying – must have permanent establishment in the UK, be less than 7 years since the company’s first commercial sale and the company must be committed to long term growth and development.
We will only undertake review of applications for funding which clearly fit the criteria above, and would not recommend making a detailed application if the company is not able to meet this criteria.
Any application for funding must include the following:
- A mission statement for the company
- Detailed biographies of all principals and key personnel
- Detailed track record of all content originated by the company (or the principals of the company) which have been acquired or commissioned by top tier distributors or broadcasters
- Detailed development slate for the company, including a synopsis for each project, and details of meaningful interest from distributors and/or broadcasters, and any relevant talent attachments.
- A realistic and detailed 5 year business plan for the company.
For the sake of clarity, the Fund will not be able to provide funding for any individual film or television project.
If you are seeking investment, we would be delighted to learn about your business and discuss whether Calculus could be a suitable investment partner. Please get in touch with our Investment Team: email@example.com or 020 7493 4940.